Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Dear Tennessee,

I left you yesterday...

I know, it kind of blows my mind too. I've known these days were coming for quite some time now, but nothing could've ever really prepared me to put you in my rear view mirror in the way that I now have. I've experienced levels of emotions in the past couple of weeks that I never knew I could reach.

You deserve a few parting words from me, a true friend.

You are beautiful. I think it takes a true Tennessean to fully appreciate your beauty. In the spring, I'll dream about your gorgeous bloomed dogwoods and the yellow daffodils that filled my yard. In the fall, I'll be home sick for your incredible color changing leaves. I know there are flowers pretty much everywhere, and the leaves change in Colorado, too. But nothing will ever compare to spring or fall with you, Tennessee.


You are my home. I may be on my way to Colorado to start a journey into a new life, but you will always be my first home. I will be so proud to tell anyone who asks me where I'm from that I'm from East Tennessee. I'll show them what it's like to have pride in where you come from. I'll never be ashamed or embarrased when I say 'I reckon' or 'How are ya'll doing?' Never will I ever lose the knowledge I learned from you, growing up in your woods. I'm taking you with me, Tennessee, everywhere I go.

You hold my loved ones. Not only did I put you in my rear view, I put the majority of everyone I know and love in it too. My family, my friends, my co-workers who became like family... saying 'bye' to everything and everyone I know has got to be one of the most difficult things I've done. But I had to keep reminding myself that when I walked away from them for the 'last' time, it really wasn't the last time at all. I'm going to see you and everyone again. I may not have an exact date, but let me tell ya, Tennessee, it'll be soon! In the mean time, give them some beautiful snow to enjoy for me soon.

Oh, and last but not least...
I will always bleed orange.

I love you and I miss you already, Tennessee.

See you soon,
Kelsey

"Growing up Southern is a privilege, really. It's more
than loving fried chicken, sweet tea, high school
football, hunting, and guitars. It's being devoted to
God, front porches, moon pies, and each other...
We don't become Southern - we're born that way."


No comments:

Post a Comment